Remembering the Past... For the Future!
WHAT and WHO IS THE CCHC?
The Texas Legislature authorized counties to establish County Historical Commissions (CHC) to assist county commissioners courts and the Texas Historical Commission (THC) in the preservation of our historic and cultural resources--this is the mission of each CHC.
The responsibilities of a CHC are set forth in the Texas Local Government Code, Chapter 318. The statute is fairly broad, leaving latitude for CHCs to organize and undertake activities appropriate to their county’s size and resources.
These statutory assignments make CHCs primary points of contact for individuals who need more information about particular aspects of history and historic sites in Texas. Contact information for CHC chairs is located below. Please note that not every county has a CHC and activity levels of CHCs vary from county to county.
The role of a CHC member is extremely rewarding and satisfying. To be a member, you just need to meet the following qualifications. They are:
1) Be a resident of Cameron County, Texas
2) Live within the boundaries of Cameron County, Texas
3) Must have an interest in historic preservation and an understadning of local history and resources
4) Be available to attend meetings
5) Be available to assist the CHC in endevors of preservation and education
6) Attend at least 2 meetings of the previous year before appointment.